Small Actions, Big Results
Living an environmentally friendly lifestyle is among the most responsible and worthwhile endeavors humans can make. The good news is, it’s easy to positively impact the earth — in your community and beyond. It just requires a sprinkle of conscientious actions to embody a sustainability-focused mindset.
When you strive for a planet-wise lifestyle, small actions add up to big results. Read on for some of our favorite ideas. Won’t you join us in this effort?
Cut your emissions
- Make it a car-free day: Denver boasts an amazing web of public transit throughout the Metro area. The easily accessible light rail stations just moments from Sterling Ranch are a bonus!
- Bike to work: Trade four wheels for two and pedal to work! The area’s many bike lanes, not to mention neighborhood and nearby trails — appreciated by residents in Douglas County, the nation’s second-healthiest county — offer a safe path to the office.
- Telecommute: One-gig+ fiber optic internet comes standard in every home at Sterling Ranch — and makes working from home an easy proposition.
- Live near work: With its proximity to top employers in the aerospace and health care industries, such as Lockheed Martin and Children’s Hospital, cutting one’s daily commute is achievable for many Sterling Ranch residents.
Minimize your footprint
- Consider your lights: Once the sun goes down, how many lights do you really need turned on throughout the house? Flip the switch when you can, and be sure to swap incandescent bulbs for LEDs — they’re far more efficient.
- Turn off the tap: Water sustainability is important in the West. There are many ways to maximize your sustainable usage in the home. Check out this post for easy-to-implement strategies.
- Opt for renewable energy: Did you know every home in Sterling Ranch is solar-ready? When you live in a place that enjoys 300+ days of sunshine, it makes sense — for the planet and for your pocketbook — to opt for this renewable energy source.
- Recycle: You already practice good habits recycling run-of-the-mill paper and plastics; don’t forget to take this a step further and recycle clothing, electronics and batteries too.
- Know your home: The best way to determine if your home is functioning at its greatest efficiency is by testing it. Take advantage of an energy audit by Xcel Energy to truly get a handle on how your home performs.
Beautify your surroundings
- Organize a pickup party: Call on friends, family and neighbors to gather and head out for a community cleanup day. Visit sidewalks, pocket parks and trails — and meet fellow residents along the way.
- Plant something: It’s no secret how beneficial plants and trees are for purifying the air we breathe. In the West, landscaping can be both functional and show-stopping, all while adhering to best practices for water conservation (that is, choosing drought-tolerant varieties).
Do Your Part!
In 2020, Sterling Ranch set out to reach an objective established in our technology road map: to identify a path toward net-zero energy usage. Support us in this ambitious goal by doing your part! Join our Crash Course on Energy, a 12-part email program designed to create a big impact from small efforts.